Abolish Stoning Worldwide!
Stoning, the extremely cruel form of execution, still exists in many states today.
Stoning, the extremely cruel form of execution, still exists in many states today. In the last years cases of stoning were heard of in Nigeria, Iran, Pakistan, Sudan and the United Arab Emirates. Most executions of stoning take place far from public exposure. Especially in rural areas where tradition, sentences by family clans and local spiritual leaders are more important than written law and justice, objective media coverage is almost impossible. Therefore not only public opinion and politics are needed to overcome stoning but also Islamic spiritual leaders.
Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading
Islamic Law (Sharia) foresees the death penalty for a couple of offences in its criminal code. Often the method of execution can be defined by the judges, as it is e.g. with homosexuality. Nevertheless for adultery there is no choice: stoning is compulsory.
According to the United Nations Convention against Torture, stoning is a cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment. Stoning is in opposition to articles 3 and 5 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and of articles 6 and 7 of the International Pact on Civil and Political Rights, which guarantee the right to life and prohibit torture and inhuman treatment as well as the Second Facultative Protocol to the International Pact on Civil and Political Rights on the abolition of the death penalty. Furthermore stoning because of adultery is against the international principle of commensurability. The ISHR's goal is the total abolition of stoning worldwide.
The International Society for Human Rights...
- Urges all states that have spoken out death sentences by stoning, to not execute these convictions;
- Urges all states which foresee stoning in there criminal code to speak out a moratorium to stoning and to initiate legislative steps to abolish stoning from their criminal codes;
- Urges the Organisation on Islamic Conferences (OIC) to publicly denounce stoning as a crime and to urge its member states to abolish stoning from their national criminal codes;
- Urges all Islamic organisations in Germany and abroad to speak against stoning and to actively participate in campaigns to abolish stoning;
- Urges all Islamic states to ratify or if already ratified, to implement the International Pact on Civil and Political Rights, the Second Facultative Protocol to the International Pact on Civil and Political Rights in the abolition of the death penalty as well as the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment;
- Urges the United Nations Commission on Human Rights to mandate the Special Rapporteur on Torture or Other Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment or Punishment with an all encompassing review and investigation on stoning
- Urges the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights to initiate, organise and carry out a symposium on stoning and Sharia criminal code. Similar to and kind of in continuation of the symposium "Enrichment of the Universality of Human Rights: Islamic Perspectives on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights", which took place in Geneva in November 1998.
Since centuries people are being killed through stoning in an extremely cruel and bestial manner. Stoning is still carried out, it is part of the criminal code in more provinces and states now than it was ten years ago. Please help abolish this barbaric punishment worldwide.
- Please participate in our signature campaign.
- Please inform colleagues and friends.
- Please also talk to your newspaper and members of Parliament about stoning.
- Please appeal to your government to internationally work for the condemnation of stoning.